If it does not, you MUST apply for a new passport and have it in hand before you are able to apply for your travel visa.**
- If time is tight, Expedited (2-3 business days + shipping) or Rush (1 business day +shipping) application options are available for an additional cost.
All travelers to China will need a China tourist visa (also know as an “L visa”) to enter the People’s Republic of China. A China entry visa is issued only by a Chinese Consulate or Embassy. Travelers should start preparing their visa application packet 60 – 45 days prior to their departure date.
The visa application process can get a little complicated when it comes to adoptees traveling back to their birth countries. Don’t worry! We’ll walk you through every step of the process!
Once you have all of your required documents ready, you can either apply in person (if you happen to live near a Chinese consulate) or opt to use a courier service. Visit the Fee Breakdown tab for visa application costs and fees.
- As long as there is a COVA (China Online Visa Application) form available for your country of residence, you should use it to apply for your China visa.
- ALL required fields must be completed.
- Make sure all names match exactly what is shown on your passport (i.e. If your middle name is included in your passport Given Names, include it exactly the same in the Visa Application “Given Name(s)” field.)
- If you are unsure of your China birthplace/orphanage city or district, please call us!
- National ID Number can be your valid passport number or Driver’s License number
- Have You Ever Held Any Other Nationality, adoptees should mark Yes and choose China
- Complete all subsequent fields. Type in your given Chinese name only if you know the correct characters (cannot be in PinYin), otherwise write, “See Chinese Passport”
- Chinese ID Number does not apply to any China adoptees. Mark Not Applicable and explain, “Was adopted from China before age 18.”
- Type of Travel Document choose Ordinary
- Types of Visa and Major Purpose of Your Visit choose (L) Tourism and choose Independent Tourist
- Number of Entries we suggest choosing Multiple
- Maximum Duration of Longest Stay (days) you can write in any number between 30 – 180. We advise to put 30 days.
- Validity of Visa (months) we suggest writing in 120 months (10 years)
- The Information About Your Intended Trip section is a bit confusing. Complete all fields as best you can. We assume that the order of dates/cities pertains first to Trip Arrival and then Trip Departure.
- Beijing International Airport (PEK) is located in Shunyi District
- Guangzhou International Airport (CAN) is located in Baiyun District
- Please call us if you have any questions!
- All information regarding Inviting Person or Organization in China will be provided to you in your invitation letter. Please call us if you have any questions!
- Who Will Pay For the Travel choose Self
- Sponsor choose Not Applicable
- For entire Other Information section (Yes/No questions), ‘No’ is the optimal answer unless absolutely necessary to choose ‘Yes’
- Review and verify that all information is correct. DO NOT click Submit yet.
- Copy down your Application ID number
- Provide your courier with your Application ID number
- Your courier will be able to log in and review your completed visa application form via your Application ID.
- Once the courier confirms that all is correct, you can retrieve your application using your Application ID and Submit your application
- Print out your COVA application and sign it. Provide your courier with a signed copy in your visa application packet.